Makes about 1 lb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 1/2 cups (1 lb) whole blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Combine the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and stir until the sugar is evenly moistened. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Cook the mixture to 230°F. Remove from the heat. Add the almonds and stir vigorously until the sugar crystallizes and makes a white crusty coating on the almonds.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir constantly until the sugar melts and caramelizes, making a coating on the nuts. The nuts will become shiny and smooth, with a very dark caramel coating. Remove the pan from the heat, immediately add the butter, and quickly stir it.
- Pour the nuts onto the prepared pan, immediately using the tip of an oiled or buttered knife to separate them. Let the nuts cool completely before serving.