Makes 8 servings
This bubble milk tea is refreshing and fun to eat, with small tapioca pearls adding a chewy texture to the iced tea-mixture. Use any variety of tea that you prefer, and substitute large tapioca pearls for small for a unique texture.
- Combine 1 cup of the water with the sugars and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 2 or 3 minutes to make a syrup. Set aside.
- To prepare the tapioca, bring 7 cups of the water to a boil in a large saucepot and add the tapioca pearls. Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until they are mostly transparent and slightly gummy, about 30 minutes. Remove the tapioca from the heat and cover the pan. Cool for 30 minutes, then drain through a wire-mesh sieve and rinse with cool water.
- Add the cooked tapioca pearls to the sugar syrup and stir to coat the pearls with the syrup. Store in the refrigerator until ready to make the bubble tea.
- Put the tea bags in a teapot or a pitcher. Bring the remaining 6 cups of water to a full boil and pour over the teabags. Allow to steep until you have a double-strength tea, 5 to 6 minutes. Discard the teabags and cool the tea to room temperature.
- For each serving of bubble tea, put 1/3 cup cooked tapioca pearls into a large glass. Combine 3/4 cup tea, 1/2 cup milk, 3 tablespoons sugar syrup, and a few cubes of ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake it thoroughly and pour the over the tapioca pearls. Serve immediately with a wide straw.