- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oats, old fashioned or quick-cooking
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (2 oz) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
Add the butter to the flour mixture, tossing to coat. Cut the fat into the mixture using your fingertips, a pastry blender, or two forks until the mixture looks like coarse irregular crumbs.
Distribute the crumble evenly over the pie or tart and bake as directed. If not using immediately, store the crumble in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Note: If making the crumble in a food processor, stir in the oats by hand after pulsing in the butter to avoid chopping the oats.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America