Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup black rice
- 1/2 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass, very finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup small-dice dried mangos
- 2 tablespoons cup unsweetened, finely shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In an oven-safe pot, bring the water to boil, and add the rice, palm sugar, and lemongrass. Bring back to a boil over high heat, cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Once the rice has absorbed all the water, add the coconut milk, bring back to a simmer over medium heat, and return the pot to the oven. Continue to cook until the coconut milk has been absorbed and the rice is creamy.
- Add the lime juice and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Cool slightly, then pour the rice into bowls and top with diced mango and coconut.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America