- 1 can black beans (15 oz. or 1 3/4 cups), well rinsed and drained
- 2 large flax eggs (2 heaping Tbsp. flaxseed meal and 6 Tbsp. water)
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Walnuts, pecans, or semisweet chocolate chips, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan
(not a mini pan).
- Prepare the flax egg by combining flax and water in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a couple times and then let it rest for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for optional toppings) and puree about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed until fairly smooth. If the batter appears too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but not too runny.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin and smooth the tops with a spoon. If using toppings, sprinkle crushed walnuts, pecans, or chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two days. Refrigerate to keep longer.