Makes 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the balsamic and honey in a small pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of balsamic, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add the squash and toss to coat. Transfer the squash to a foil-lined baking sheet, and roast until the squash is deep golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer in a saucepan.
- In a separate, large, heavy-bottomed sauce pan, heat the olive oil. Sauté the garlic, shallot, and thyme until aromatic and translucent. Add the rice and sauté until the grains are well coated and hot, about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock to the rice, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly and only adding more stock when the previous liquid has completely absorbed. Continue to add the simmering stock, stirring constantly as you add. You will use at least 3 cups, but you may not use all 4 cups of the stock.
- When the stock is no longer easily absorbed and the rice is tender, fold in the roasted squash and any juices from the pan. Add the kale and stir gently until the greens are wilted.
- Swirl the butter into the risotto for additional richness. Stir in the cheese, and season to taste with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Spoon into warm bowls, drizzle with the reserved glaze, and garnish with pistachios, pine nuts, and za’atar.
*The Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) is the name of an area, a specific place, or, in exceptional cases, the name of a country, used as a description of an agricultural product, which comes from such an area, place, or country, which has a specific quality, goodwill, or other characteristic property, attributable to its geographical origin, at least one of the stages of production, processing, or preparation takes place in the area. The European Union (EU) will only give a product PGI status if they decide it has a reputation, characteristics, or qualities that are a result of the area you want to associate with. It is the PGI logo that guarantees the consumer about the authenticity of the product they are buying.