Makes about 1 1/2 cups
This rich butterscotch sauce is a decadent addition to your favorite ice cream or dessert.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup Muscovado sugar
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar of Modena PGI*
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Add the Balsamic Vinegar of Modena PGI and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer.
- Without stirring, simmer the mixture for three minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Simmer until bubbly, then remove from the heat.
- Set aside to cool slightly and add the vanilla extract.
- Serve warm, or cool and reheat as needed.
*The Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) is the name of an area, a specific place, or, in exceptional cases, the name of a country, used as a description of an agricultural product, which comes from such an area, place, or country, which has a specific quality, goodwill, or other characteristic property, attributable to its geographical origin, at least one of the stages of production, processing, or preparation takes place in the area. The European Union (EU) will only give a product PGI status if they decide it has a reputation, characteristics, or qualities that are a result of the area you want to associate with. It is the PGI logo that guarantees the consumer about the authenticity of the product they are buying.