Makes 4 Servings
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium carrot, very thinly shredded
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
- 3/4 cup Pecorino Romano or aged Asiago, shaved
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, mild
- 3/4 cup clementine or orange segments
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1 fruit)
- Shave the Brussels sprouts very thinly with a mandolin, being careful not to break them up too much, and place into a bowl large enough to accommodate them.
- Shred the carrot into the bowl, then add the pine nuts, seasoning, half of the cheese, the lemon juice, and the olive oil and toss together.
- Divide among 4 plates and garnish with the clementine or orange segments and the remaining cheese, and sprinkle the pomegranate seeds all over.
Chef’s Note: You may also add thinly shaved radishes or beets to this salad, but only add beets at the very end, to avoid them bleeding on the plate.